Skip to main content

Off Campus Courses Policy and Procedure


No more than 40 credits from the combined areas of college courses, private institutions, or charter school may be transferred onto the high school transcript.  Students must be enrolled in CUSD while attending an off campus class in order to receive credit on a Carlsbad Unified School District transcript.


CUSD shall grant credit toward high school graduation for coursework successfully completed at a community college, state college, public or private institution provided that:

  1. The electronic “Off Campus Course Permission Request” form must be submitted by the student prior to a student enrolling in the off campus course.

  2. The off campus institution where the course is to be taken must be from an accredited institution (WASC or other regional accrediting association). 

  3.  The student shall receive the same letter grade for the high school credit as is granted by the college or private institution.

  4. Upon completion of the course, the student must submit an official transcript showing the student completed the course. 

PLEASE NOTE: An off campus course taken to fulfill a CUSD graduation requirement may not be accepted by the UC/CSU system, private colleges and universities, and out of state institutions, or NCAA as fulfilling entrance requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to check with an admissions officer from each campus to which you intend to apply.