Skip to main content

Community College & Off Campus Courses

Current CHS students who would like to take courses at a community college, such as MiraCosta College or Palomar College, must complete the following process:

  1. Complete the online CUSD Off Campus Course Permission Request form.
  2. Complete the online application for the community college. 2 to 3 days after submission the student will receive an email with their Surf ID number (MCC) or Student ID number (Palomar) to be used to complete enrollment.
  3. Thoroughly read and complete the specific Community College Concurrent Enrollment/Special Admissions form*
  4. Register for the courses online with the community college during the specified enrollment period.
  5. Students are responsible for submitting official community college transcripts to the CHS Registrar after completion of the course in order for it to be added to their CHS transcript. Transcripts can be ordered online from the community college at the following links:

*Concurrently enrolled high school students can take up to 11 credits for free through the dual or concurrent enrollment programs; students and families are required to pay the health fee and the cost of materials, textbooks associated with the course per academic term enrolled.


Please make sure to read the full policy here in order for your course to be accepted. The Off Campus Course Request form must be submitted to your School Counselor by June 1st.

Approved institutions that have been confirmed in the 2021-22 school year as meeting WASC accreditation, or other regional accreditation and some or all A-G course approvals. View the Carlsbad Unified School District approved list here.

Note that any course taken for advancement does not guarantee placement in preferred course.